I'm wondering if anyone ever reads this sentence.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

AfterMASH

The worst title for the worst spin-off of a great show of all time is the inspiration for my two topics today.

Let's start off with the aftermath of the furor surrounding Willie's decision to let the Amburglar pitch to Ryan Howard with first base open on Monday. Listen, people. I'm not going to repeat myself, and you're probably all sick of this stuff by now. You can read my thoughts and all opposing and supporting viewpoints here and here. I thought this decision was 100% indefensible. Having said that, however, I'd like it known that I'm not prepared to adopt Mr. Met's decision that Willie is a bad in-game manager. Yes, he has the occasional decision that will make me scream in anger even BEFORE it blows up in his face (like Monday). But I think, by and large, he did a good job last year, save for a brutally managed series in San Fran (remember this?). Is he a big-time manager? Probably not, but I like him and I thought the contract extension was well-deserved. Having said that, I have a right to annihilate him any time he does something patently stupid like he did on Monday. Enough said.

(Actually, looking back at that post from a year ago, I see that he walked Barry Bonds, who, like Ryan Howard, was hitting around .220 at the time, in the first fricking inning with first base NOT open. How you gonna do that, and NOT walk Howard in the LATE innings with first base OPEN?? OK, let's not get me going on this again.)

The second issue, which has been utterly beaten to a bloody pulp over the last 48 hours. is the Imus thing. People, I'll make my position very clear on this one. In fact, I only require five words:

Don't like him? Don't listen.

Easy. Simple. Learn it. Live it. Know it.

Now, having said that, I thought the Rutgers ladies were rather impressive in their press conference yesterday. Certainly, if Imus has a right to say what he said (which, by the way, I would describe as a brutally misguided extemporaneous attempt at humor), they have a right to say how it affected them. No problem whatsoever there. But it got me to thinking, why have they been affected this way? Why, as one girl put it, has this "scarred her for life"? Do you think that MAYBE, just maybe, this absurd whirlwind of media attention to one DJ's off-the-cuff stupid remark has had anything to do with it? Do you think that maybe, given what's going on the the world, the media should be doing something better with its time? Do you think that maybe if it wasn't for all these hysterical headlines, the majority of the population - these girls included - would never even be affected by this? Just some food for thought.

Now, having said all of that, I got a MAJOR kick out of the fact that Mike and the Dog spent about 5 hours on this topic yesterday. Here are two rich, white, and completely out-of-touch sportscasters. I can't imagine two people LESS qualified opine about race relations in America. And not surprsingly, in classic Mike/Dog style, they gave you the terse, obligatory "we can't defend what Imus said" at the beginning, but then they spend the next 4 hours and 59 minutes tearing into Al Sharpton. Very thought-provoking.

Best moment? When an irate caller started screaming at Dog "You're a PUNK. You're a PUNK! You're a PUNK!!" before they finally cut him off. I think we've all wanted to say that at some point.

15 Comments:

Blogger SonnyD said...

Toasty, you're a PUNK! You're a PUNK!

Having said that, how can anyone listen to Imus? Better yet, how can anyone understand Imus? The guy sounds like a nappy headed ho...

12:22 PM

 
Blogger Rickey Henderson said...

I wonder if WFAN has posted that "you're a PUNK" clip on their website yet... Fruit Loops has had the coming to him for years now.

I think the Imus thing is totally blown out of proportion by the way.

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Count Choculitis said...

I have thought about this Imus scandal for days (yes, I occasionally listen; he sometimes has some incredibly interesting political discourse, but in the 8 years I have been commuting to work, I have never once laughed at anything that occurred on the show; it's not a funny show). That being said, if he was taken off the air tomorrow I wouldn't/couldn't care less.

What he said is only arguably racist. On its face, and without parsing words, I fail to see how nappy headed 'ho is a racist comment. He was making fun of the appearance of that particular women's basketball team. I couldn't agree with Toasty more.....if the media didn't let Fucking Al Sharpton co-opt this mess, we would have been long past this.

Fucking Al Sharpton. For Imus to go groveling to Fucking Al Sharpton of all people was the worst PR move in the history of PR moves. Imus could not win that one. Al Sharpton (I'll let BookieD comment on him at length) is the most offensive racist in this entire city. I will be pained if Al Sharpton is somehow responsible for Imus's firing.

By the way, the next morning Howard was playing a song called "I Have My N-er Hating Hat On", yet nary a peep from anyone. I'm trying to figure out why that is so. Is it because Imus is supposedly the "intelligent" jock, while Howard is the "shock" jock? I don't know. But there is no way Imus should be fired. And the advertisers who have already bailed are pussies. Whatever job Sharpton holds, he is the one who should be fired from it.

2:17 PM

 
Blogger mr. met said...

Imus thing? Huh? What happened? Was something about Imus covered on the news?

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Count, perhaps the difference is Howard is no longer on the public airwaves.

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Count Choculitis said...

By the way, wasn't tomorrow an odd day for an off day?

I forgot to mention this: I was watching some of the Yankee game on Saturday. Jeter hit a routine ground ball to shortstop, which Tejada fielded cleanly but threw away. Michael Kay says, "That is a result of every infielder in the American League knowing Jeter hustles down the line every play."

I wanted to vomit in my own mouth.

2:28 PM

 
Anonymous The Bronx Lurker said...

Methinks that your stance on Imus is just a tad hypocritical. You bestow "Fucktard of the Week" status on Tom Coughlin for an offhanded, passing remark incorporating "Hitler." Which, by the way, was too obtuse and nonsensical as to deem it anti-Semetic.

A mere 10 days later, you shrug off Imus' rant with the old "you don't have to listen" defense. Imus isn't some schmuck football coach though. Politicians and other major public figures have jockeyed to appear on his show for almost 2 decades, despite his history of statements that go light years beyond any inanity from Coughlin or Isiah or Michael Kay or any other of your recent targets. Most public figures simply claim not to know about what Imus says when they aren't in the studio, and to me, that reflects the real issue here.

By the bye, there wouldn't have been half the righteous rage if Howard Stern insulted the lovely ladies of Rutgers. You can't have it both ways though-- if you're going to be using invective like "nappy headed ho", you should be interviewing Jenna Jameson, not John McCain.

But I guess it's all good, as long as he doesn't insult hypothetical Holocaust survivors?

2:37 PM

 
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Interesting theory, but here's the problem with it: I never argued that Coughlin should be fired for his remark. (In fact, he SHOULD be fired, but for his lack of coaching ability, not his stupid statement). I also recall saying in this very same post that Imus's comment was "a brutally misguided extemporaneous attempt at humor." I would use almost the same exact words to describe Coughlin's remark.

I'm sorry, where is the inconsistency, exactly?

3:02 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Michael Kay said that no one calls female basketball players "nappy-headed ho's" better than Derek Jeter.

3:15 PM

 
Blogger mr. met said...

mike, that was classic.

3:49 PM

 
Anonymous the bronx lurker said...

Well, Coughlin's remark earned him a stern admonishment from Toasty to STFU, as well as the inaugural fucktard award. And he's paid to coach football, not to engage national leaders in dialogue.

Maybe I'm not getting the fucktard concept? I think what Imus said was far, far worse. Given who he is and what he does, I can't fault any advertiser who abandons him and any guest who cancels. And if I was an NBC exec, I would fire him. "Don't like him, don't listen" doesn't fly for me.

As for "nappy-headed" not being racist on its face, maybe Count Choc should test that theory by buying some fresh fly Jamie-Kennedy threads, taking the 6 uptown and dropping the phrase "What up, my nappy-headed niggaz?" on the first group of black athletes he comes across. Let me know how that goes.

4:33 PM

 
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

What Imus said was worse, I agree. But since I didn't even hear about it under over the weekend, the award went to Isiah last Friday. Of course, it helps that I can't help but dump on Isiah whenever possible.

You're right, Coughlin is paid to coach football (which he does -- poorly), not to muse about Adolph Hitler to the media. Imus, on the other hand, is paid to try to be funny on the radio. In this instance, he failed spectacularly. Should that translate into people who like his show (I'm not one of them, by the way) never being able to hear it again? I don't think so.

4:41 PM

 
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

By the way, since I know Count Choc, the mental image of him doing what you described cracked me up. Well done.

4:50 PM

 
Anonymous theflitgirl said...

I have to agree with the bronx lurker that the comment was way beyond "arguably" racist as well as disgustingly misogynist...another example of a man in power using his position of privilege to enforce the idea that white beauty is the only acceptable standard of beauty. It's completely understandable that the Rutgers women would be deeply upset by running up against the fact that the mainstream media considers them less womanly than the white norm. This just proves that we haven't evolved as much in the last hundred years of race relations as American like to pretend they have.

And I think Howard Stern is equally repulsive with his nakedly apparent need to assert his dominance over women by reducing their worth to their physical attractiveness and then mocking their intelligence. Ugh, I'm so glad Toasty can't listen to him anymore now that he's on satellite.

10:17 PM

 
Blogger Count Choculitis said...

I could go uptown, flash the wrong attitude and call the wrong person a deadbeat and get my ass kicked, it doesn't make it racist.

The comment is what you want it to be. In this case, Big Al wanted it to be racist, so now it is.

8:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home